In a season in which there has been no clear dominator, these are the players who would be the favorites to win the precious accolade. The truth is that this year, the decision will be difficult, since all the tournaments that were delayed since last year were played, so there are many players who were champions of very important competitions, and are looking for their place in the election.
- Lionel Messi: The Argentine has remained among the best throughout the season, as he usually does year after year, and also has finally lifted a title with the Argentine senior team. That Copa América is his best guarantee to win the award and he was also champion of the Copa del Rey with Barcelona.
- Jorginho: Champion of the Champions with Chelsea and champion of the Eurocopa with Italy. You can't ask for more from a footballer in a season. And he has also done so by being indisputable both at his club and with the national team and with a prominent role.
- Robert Lewandowski: Football owes Robert Lewandowski a Ballon d'Or. The Pole was the big favorite to take him last year, but France Football's decision not to hand over the award clearly hurt him. And although this year he did not get all the titles and Poland fell in the group stage of the Eurocup, he has not stepped on the brake and continues to score goals. It is the current Golden Boot.
- N'golo Kanté: European champion with Chelsea and MVP of the final, the bad Eurocup in France has made him lose options for the Ballon d'Or but he is still a serious candidate and will surely finish in the top positions.
- Gianluigi Donnarumma: Seeing a goalkeeper win the Ballon d'Or is almost unprecedented, only Lev Yashin has achieved it. And it is hard to believe that if other goalkeepers like Buffon or Casillas did not achieve it, Donnarumma will achieve it, and even more so now that there is an award only for goalkeepers. But taking into account the level he showed in the Eurocup, that he won the tournament and was chosen as the best player, he should not be ruled out at all.