Manchester United just leads in the FA Cup at halftime against Newport County

Man United lead 2-1 against Newport and are 45 minutes away to the fifth round.

By Emmanuel Mendez

Bruno Fernandes and Kobbie Mainoo scored for Man United in the first half.
Bruno Fernandes and Kobbie Mainoo scored for Man United in the first half.
Síguenos enSíguenos en Google News

Manchester United is currently leading 2-1 against Newport at halftime. The Red Devils started the game off well by dominating the possession and not letting Newport County near their half. Man United is pushing the League Two side back in their half and has led to calm domination on the pitch.

Related News: Bruno Fernandes gives Man United the early lead in the FA Cup

Manchester United took the lead in the 7th minute of the game when Antony passed the ball to Bruno Fernandes in the Newport box. Fernandes took a first-time shot into the bottom corner and gave United the early lead. This is Antony's first goal contribution this season for Man United as he registers the assist.

Six minutes later, Diogo Dalot rushes further up the pitch on the right-hand side. Dalot passes the ball to Kobbie Mainoo, who was unmarked in the box and scores a first-time shot that goes into the bottom-left corner. The low shot was in between many players in the box, and the keeper couldn't react in time to stop it. This is Mainoo's first-ever goal for Manchester United in his young career.

Related News: Manchester United look to continue their FA Cup journey when they play Newport

Newport pulls one back late in the game, and the pressure starts to grow on Manchester United

Alejandro Garnacho was close to scoring the third for Man United when his shot rattled the crossbar. Antony was in the mood today as he also was close to scoring the third. His first-time shot was blocked by one of the Newport defenders.

Newport scored a goal in the 36th minute from out of nowhere. Bryn Morris takes a half-volley shot from 25 yards, and a slight deflection from Lisandro Martinez beats the Man United debutant goalkeeper Bayindir. The ball glides into the top corner, and Rodney Parade goes wild. Morris made it 2-1, and Newport began to put pressure on Man United. United maintained more possession after a few poor passes from the home team. United had one last chance just before the halftime whistle when Fernandes took a great strike on target but the Newport keeper makes the save. Man United held on to the lead and is advancing to the next round if it stays like this.

More news