Competitions

European Super League: Aleksander Ceferin and a new threat to clubs

The UEFA president again referred to the controversial tournament. 

Aleksander Ceferin 
Aleksander Ceferin 

UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin said Sunday that there will be sanctions against the 12 clubs that tried to launch a dissident European Super League earlier this week, in statements to the Mail on Sunday newspaper. "Everyone must suffer the consequences of what they have done and we cannot pretend that nothing has happened," he said.

Aleksander Ceferin 

At the beginning of the week, 6 English, 3 Spanish and 3 Italian clubs, among the richest in Europe, launched a nearly closed competition project in which 15 of the 20 spots would be reserved for the founding members.

Faced with media and political rejection and the reaction of outrage from fans, the six English clubs - Manchester City and United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal - were the first to back down on Tuesday night, followed by Atlético Madrid, Inter Milan and AC Milan.

But Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus have not yet formally thrown in the towel and make up a trio that Ceferin described as "those who believe that the Earth is flat and that the Super League still exists". The European football leader made a distinction with the six English clubs, as they were the first to abandon the project.

"For me there is a big difference between the English clubs and the other six. They retired first, they admitted their mistake. There is a certain greatness of character to say: 'I was wrong.'

This does not mean that they will escape any sanction, but they will be less rigorous, although Ceferin refused to specify the possible sanctions. "It's too early to tell," he said.

Related Articles

More Soccer News

More Soccer News